St. Johns Door & Window

Glossary of Terms


American Architectural Manufacturers Association. A national trade association that establishes voluntary standards for the window, door, storefront, curtain wall and skylight industries.

Air space

A cavity or space in walls, windows or other enclosed parts of a building between various structural members. Usually used in reference to IG glass issues.

Annealed glass

Standard sheet of float glass which has not been heat-treated.


American National Standards Institute - an organization that generates standards and specifications for a multitude of products.

Arch top

A single hung window where the head is curved into a radius equal to 1/2 the window width.

Architectural shaped windows

Fixed glass geometric shaped windows.

Argon gas

Argon is a safe, odorless, colorless, non-toxic, non-flammable inert gas that is commonly used in place of air between the glass panes of an insulated Low-E glass unit to reduce temperature transfer.


American Society for testing and Materials - an organization that sets standards for testing of materials.


The vertical member of a multi-panel door, which is attached to the fixed or inactive door or panel and receives the active or operating door or panel.


An enclosed interior court, of one or more levels high, on to which other rooms may open.

Awning window

Window in which the sash(es) crank out from the bottom and are hinged at the top.


A mechanical device used in hung windows to offset the weight of the sash.

Balance shoe

Hardware that connects the balance to the sash.

Bay window

An angled combination of three windows that project out from the wall of the home. The windows are commonly joined at 30 or 45 degree angles.


A sealant or compound after application in a joint, irrespective of the method of application, such as caulking bead, glazing bead, etc. Also molding or stop used to hold glass or panels in position.


The stopping surface formed when two surfaces meet at an angle which is not a right angle.

Block frame window

Used when replacing the wood sash of an old double hung wood window.


The holes made in a door rim into which the door handle or dead bolt fits. Also referred to as the prep.

Bottom rail

The bottom horizontal member of a sash or panel sometimes referred to as the sash, vent or panel sill.

Bow window

An angled combination of windows in 3, 4 or 5 lite configurations. The windows are attached at 10-degree angles to project a more circular, arced appearance.

Box screen

A heavy duty sliding glass door screen frame that simulates the actual glass panels. It is typically similar in size and shape of the glass door panels.

Brick molding

A standard milled wood trim piece to cover the gap between the window and frame and masonry.


Muntin configuration that frames a single centered large lite and intersects near corners. Also known as Prairie Grid.


Material used to frame an opening for attachment of the window or door frame.

Buck dimension

Opening with buck strips installed and ready for window or door installation. Also referred to as a finished opening.

Buck opening

Opening with buck strips installed and ready for window or door installation. Also referred to as a finished opening.

Buck strips

See Buck

Bug sweep

A flexible rubber seal that is mounted to an extrusion and attaches to the bottom of the cabana door to keep out insects and air from passing underneath.

Cam lock and keeper

The mechanisms which pull the sash together when placed in the locked position.

Casement window

A window in which the sash(es) crank out from the side and are hinged from the other side.


A mastic compound for filling joints and sealing cracks to prevent leakage of water and air, commonly made of a silicone base, bituminous, acrylic, or rubber-based material.

Colonial configuration

Window or door style in which vents or panels are divided into small sections (lites) by adding muntins.


Standard sizes developed for Florida Construction in accordance to block sizes. Most commonly used in the masonry trade.

Composite frame

A frame consisting of two or more materials: for example, an interior wood element with an exterior fiberglass element.


When water vapor, which is present in all but the driest air, comes in contact with a surface that is below what is called the "dew point temperature," the vapor becomes liquid and is called condensation. An example is as follows, condensation forms on a glass of ice water since the surface of the glass is down to the dew point temperature of the inside air.


Describes the setup of panels or vents on windows and doors. For example: XO, OX, XOX or XXX. PGT refers to "X" as operable and "O" as stationary.


A tapered indentation that will allow the placement of a flat head screw so that the top is flush with or below the surrounding material.

Cover plate

A flat piece of metal used to cover the opening in the frame.

Curing time

The time required to complete the chemical reaction of a product to reach its final physical form as a result of chemical reaction.


Removing the glass from the window frame.

Design load

Wind load pressure, usually expressed in pounds per square foot (psf). Equal to 2/3 of the Structural Test Load.

Design pressure

See Design load

Dew point

The temperature at which water vapor in air will condense at a given state of humidity and pressure.

Door jamb

see Jamb

Double glazing

See IG

Double hung

A window consisting of two sashes of glass operating in a frame, both the upper and lower halves can be slid up and down and usually use a counter balance mechanism to hold the sash in place.

Double strength glass

Sheet glass between 0.115" and 0.133" (3 - 3.38 mm) thick.

Dry rot

A fungus that decays wood in the presence of moisture and warm conditions and in the absence of light.


(sheet rock) An interior wall constructed with a dry finish such as gypsum board or plywood.


A fire code that requires entry and exit specifications.

Egress window

A window that meets most egress codes.

Exterior glazed

Glass set from the exterior of the building.

Exterior stop

The removable molding or bead that holds the lite or panel in place when it is on the exterior side of the lite or panel as contrasted to an interior stop located on the interior side of the lite or panel.


The process of shaping metal by forcing it through a die.

Extruded screen frame

Screen frame that is made through the extrusion process.


A linear shape that is formed by forcing heated material through a hardened steel plate or dies that has the desired shape cut into it.

Eyebrow window

An arch window that has vertical legs and a radius top.


A composite material made by embedding glass fibers in a polymer matrix. May be used as a diffusing material in sheet form, or as a standard sash and frame element.

Fire-resistance rating

The time in hours or fraction thereof that a material or assembly of materials will withstand the passage of flame and the transmission of heat when exposed to fire under specified conditions of test and performance criteria. Does not typically apply to residential windows.

Fixed lite

A pane of glass installed directly into non-operating framing members; also the opening or space for a pane of glass in a non-operating frame.

Fixed window

A window with no operating sashes.

Flange frame

A window frame profile where the exterior leg is longer than the interior. Is commonly used to overlap the surrounding construction.


A thin strip of metal or synthetic material that diverts water away from a seam or joint in the construction.

Foam backer rod

A filler to be used to support a sealant joint.

Fogged unit

An insulating glass unit with a permanent deposit of contaminates on an interior glass surface.


The enclosure in which window sashes, door panels or fixed glazing are mounted.


The process of joining materials by melting them together with extreme heat, resulting in the materials uniting into a one-piece unit.


A preformed shape of rubber or foam-like composition used to fill and seal joints or openings either along or in conjunction with a supplemental application of a sealant.


An inorganic transparent material composed of silica (sand), soda (sodium carbonate), and lime (calcium carbonate) with small quantities of alumina, boric or magnesia oxides.

Glass stop

See glazing bead


Glass or other material that is placed into a window or door frame, or the process of installing this material.

Glazing bead

A molding or stop placed around a window to cover the glass edge.


The direction, size, arrangement, appearance, or quality of the fibers in wood.


Decorative horizontal or vertical bars installed between the glass panes to create the appearance of the sash being divided into smaller lites of glass. Also referred to as muntins.

Heat gain

The transfer of heat from outside to inside by means of conduction, convection and radiation through all surfaces of a house.

Heat loss

Transfer of heat from inside to outside by way of conduction, radiation and convection through all surfaces of the house.

Heat treating

Process by which a material is heated and cooled to make it stronger and harder.

Heat-strengthened glass

Glass that is reheated, after forming, to just below melting point and then cooled, forming a compressed surface that increases its strength beyond that of typical annealed glass.

Hermetically sealed unit

An insulating glass unit that is sealed, moisture free, clean dead air space made up of two lites of glass.

Hole plug

A plastic plug used to fill in an opening on the extrusion.

Horizontal 2 or 4 track side slider

Vinyl glazed aluminum framed window with horizontally operating and interlocking sashes.

Horizontal slider

Window whose movable sash slides horizontally.

I.G. Unit

Insulating glass - Two or more lites of glass separated by a spacer and hermetically sealed at the glass edges.


Presence of foreign matter in a finished material, such as glass.


Window that is put in place as part of a Cabana door or Prime door; can be several kinds.

Inside glaze

When the window is glazed from the inside of the house.

Inside mount

Mounted from the interior of the home. The standard mount is outside.


A term used on doors that swing into the interior of the home. Is viewed from the inside for hinging.

Integral fin

Nailing fin protruding from the extrusion that is part of the extrusion (as opposed to an slip-on fin).

Interior casing

The interior trim that covers and overlaps the gap from the jamb to the sheet rock.


Design feature which enables sash, vent or panel to engage with another when closing.


A window made up of horizontally mounted louvered slats that abut each other tightly when closed and extend outward when cranked open.

Jalousie door insert

A jalousie window (See Jalousie) mounted within a cabana door.


The main vertical members forming the sides of a window or door frame.


Knocked Down - product components that are shipped unassembled i.e. the frame for a sliding glass door.


Device into which a window or patio door locking latch hooks for positive closure of sash or panel.

Keeper rail

The horizontal section of the sash where the keeper is attached.

Keeper stile

The vertical section of the sash where the keeper is attached.

Laminated glass

Two or more pieces of glass bonded together with an interlayer between each lite. Used for overhead, safety and sound reduction.

Lift handle

A handhold for raising and lowering the sash. Handle implies that the handhold is not continuous across the sash.

Lift rail

A handhold for raising and lowering the sash. Rail implies that the handhold is continuous across the sash.

Lip frame

Vinyl or screen glazed light-duty fixed aluminum frame (manually removable or permanent).


An area of visible light, framed by either a window or door's primary extrusions or by muntins.

Lock rail

The horizontal section of the sash where the cam lock is attached.

Lock stile

The vertical section of the sash or panel where the lock is attached.

Low-E (Emissivity) Glass

Glass with a transparent metallic oxide coating applied onto or into a glass surface. The coating typically allows short-wave energy to pass through but reflects long-wave infrared energy which improves the U-value.

Marine glazing

U-channel made of soft PVC used to cushion glass against aluminum or vinyl by wrapping it around the edge of the glass therefore allowing unrestricted expansion and contraction.

Masonry opening

Actual block opening � not including the buck strips. Also referred to as the rough opening.

Mitered corners

Angled joints where vertical members meet horizontal members.


Standard window and door sizes given in feet and inches.


Referred to as single unit of glass (not insulated).

Mortise lock

A lock that is recessed in the edge of a stile and has a throw hook that engages with a keeper.


A decorative lineal that an be applied to the exterior, interior, and in between panes of glass to simulate a true divided lite window or door.

Nailing fin / nail fin

An integral extension of a window or patio door frame which generally laps over the conventional stud construction and through which nails or screws are used to secure the frame in place.

Negative pressure

Load placed to the interior of the product.

Nominal size

The ordinary commercial size by which timber or lumber is known and sold on the market, but it may differ from the actual size. (The nearest whole number size) Also a 'Call out size' measured in feet and inches (i.e.2-4 x 5-0) for windows and doors, where the window or door's actual size is usually less than the nominal size.


Indicates a fixed section of a door or window. (O, OX, XO, XOX)

Obscure glass

Glass that has been made translucent instead of transparent.

Operable window

Window that can be opened for ventilation.


Crank-operated device for opening and closing a window.


Another name for our Pro-View window.

Outside glaze

Glazed from the exterior side of the window or door.

Outside mount

Mounted from the exterior of the home.


A term used on doors that swing to the outside or exterior of the home. Is viewed from the outside for hinging.


A frame with glass that goes into a larger �main frame� of a door. A panel may be sliding or fixed.

Pass thru

Single Hung window without a main frame sill; has a cap piece with foam that fits onto the sash sill.

Patio door

A secondary door, not the primary door.

Picture window

A window that has no moveable sash.

Pocket door

Sliding glass door that when opened slides clear of the opening.


Polyvinylchloride; an extruded or molded plastic material used for window framing and as a thermal barrier for aluminum windows.

Positive pressure

Load placed to the exterior of the product.


A window that has a sash smaller than the fixed lite also called an oriel.

Projected window

A window with a sash that opens out from the bottom.

Radius top window

A SH shaped like an architectural eyebrow, comes to a point where head and jambs meet.

Raised muntin

A decorative lineal that can be applied to the exterior, interior, and in between panes of glass to simulate a true divided lite on a window or door.

Rough opening

An unfinished opening in a frame wall, sized to accept the frame of a door or window.


A single assembly of stiles and rails made into a frame for holding glass. Sometimes referred to as vents.

Screen clip

A metal spring clip that holds a screen in place.


Woven mesh of metal, plastic, or fiberglass installed over a window opening to permit air to pass through.

Screw boss

A channel or void in an extrusion which accepts a certain diameter sheet metal screw.


Compound used to close or secure a joint from water infiltration.

Simulated divided lites

A window that has the appearance of a number of smaller panes of glass separated by muntins, but actually is a larger glazing unit with the muntins placed between or on the surfaces of the glass layers.

Single glazing

Single thickness of glass in a window or door.

Single hung window

Window in which the upper portion is fixed and the lower portion moves vertically.

Single strength glass

Glass with a thickness of approximately 3/32".


The actual door of a French door or Cabana door; also known as the rim.

Slide bolt

Hardware placed in the stiles of a French door to secure the inactive door to the header and threshold. Also known as the throw bolt.

Side slider

Horizontal sliding window.

Sliding glass door

A door fitted with one or more panels that move horizontally.

Slip-on fin

Optional piece of nailing fin material that goes all the way around the parameter of the window. Available in mill finish only.

Sloped sill

The sill of the window that has a downward slope to the outside. This sill has sufficient degree of slope to aid in water runoff.

Solar Heat Gain Coefficient(SHGC)

The fraction of solar radiation admitted through a window or skylight, both directly transmitted, and absorbed and subsequently released inward. The solar heat gain coefficient has replaced the shading coefficient as the standard indicator of a window's shading ability. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1. The lower a window's solar heat gain coefficient, the less solar heat it transmits, and the greater it's shading ability. SHGC can be expressed in terms of the glass alone or can refer to the entire window assembly.


A vinyl or rubber material that is pressed into a groove in an extrusion to hold screening or vinyl glazing in place.

Square foot

An area equal to that of a square the sides of which are twelve inches; 144 square inches. Multiply width by height (in inches) and divide by 144.


Vertical sash or panel extrusion sometimes referred to as the side rails or jambs.


The removable molding at the front of the rabbet, either or both serving to hold lite or panel in the sash or frame with the help of spacers. Also the part of a door frame against which the door closes.

Storm door

An extra outside door for protection against inclement weather.

Storm window

A second set of windows installed on the outside or inside of the primary windows to provide additional insulation and wind protection.

Strike plate

Metal piece with a punched hole on the frame jamb or astragal, which accepts the lock plunger.


An outside plaster made with Portland cement as its base.


The term used with swing doors (French door) in regards to which way the door opens or swings. (Out or in)

Tempered glass

Treated glass that is strengthened by reheating it to just below the melting point and then suddenly cooling it. When shattered, it breaks into small pieces. Approximately four times stronger than standard annealed glass; is required as safety glazing in patio doors, entrance doors, side lights, and other hazardous locations. It cannot be re-cut after tempering.

Three point lock

Deadbolts that protrude in three separate directions with the movement of a single lever or key.

Tilt-in/lift-out sash

A sash that can be tilted to the interior and removed for cleaning.

Tinted glass

Glass colored by incorporation of a mineral admixture. Any tinting reduces both visual and radiant transmittance.


Measurement for windows, which is taken from the outside of the flange to the outside of the flange.


A window that fits over the top of a door or window, primarily for additional light and aesthetic value.


The finish materials in a building, such as moldings, applied around openings (window trim, door trim) or at the floor and ceiling of rooms (baseboard, cornice and other moldings).

Triple glazing

Three panes of glass or plastic with two air spaces between.

U-factor (U-value)

A measurement of the insulating quality of the window or door. U-factor is used to determine how well the window or door stops the flow of heat into an air-conditioned home or out of a heated home. The U-factor is based on the temperature difference between the inside and outside, and does not include the energy passed by sunlight (see SHGC). The lower the U-factor, the better.

Ultra-violet (UV)

The invisible rays of the spectrum that are outside of the visible spectrum at its short-wavelength violet end. Ultraviolet rays are found in everyday sunlight and can cause fading of paint finishes, carpets, and fabrics.

United inch

Unit of measurement: width plus height = United inch


The sliding or projecting portion of the window.

Vertical 2, 3, or 4 track

Vinyl glazed aluminum framed window with vertically operating and interlocking sashes.


A rigid or flexible material made of poly vinyl chloride material used in window and door frames and glazing.

Vinyl glazing

Translucent 10 mil vinyl sheeting used in place of glass for porch enclosures and non living areas.

Vinyl-clad window

A window with exterior wood parts covered with extruded vinyl.


A material or device used to seal the openings, gaps or cracks of venting window and door units to prevent water and air infiltration.

Weep hole

A small opening in a wall, door or window sill member through which water may drain to the building exterior.

Weep hole cover

A plastic or metal piece that inserts into the weep hole to prevent air and bug infiltration.

Wind load

Measurement of pressure (in psf) put forth by the wind.

Wire glass

Polished or clear glass, 1/4" thick. Wire mesh is embedded within the glass such that the glass will not shatter when broken. The wire pattern is available in many types. It is frequently used in skylights, overhead glazing, and locations where a fire-retardant glass is required.


Indicates a moveable panel or sash in a window or door.

Review us on Google

You will need to use your Google account. If you do not have a Google Account, here is how to get one.